Owner and Lead Instructor
Katie is the owner of Pilates of Charleston and lead instructor. She is passionate about teaching and has taught Pilates, dance, and fitness for the past 15 years. As a former professional ballet dancer with American Repertory Ballet, Katie began practicing Pilates at a very young age. She experienced its benefits first hand and now enjoys sharing that same experience with others as an instructor. Her Pilates career kicked off in New York City, where she completed her first certification with Sal Anthony’s School for developmental dexterity and began teaching Pilates classes to several Pilates and yoga studios throughout New York City. After moving to Charleston in 2005, Katie completed her second full comprehensive certification through PHI Pilates. In her classes she upholds the classical Pilates principals, while infusing a more modern and athletic conditioning component that creates a more energetic session.
Katie is one of Charleston’s only certified Prenatal and Postnatal Pilates Specialists, guiding many women through a healthy pregnancy and quick but rehabilitative recovery. Pilates of Charleston is a satellite center for the PAI (Pilates Academy International) teacher training program, based in NYC at Pilates on Fifth and Katie is the CI (Certifying Instructor) for the PAI teacher training program. Katie holds the following certifications behind her name:
- PHI Certified Pilates Instructor (450 hour Comprehensive Education Program)Certification with Sal Anthony’s School for Develeopmnetal Dexterity, NYC
- Certification with Sal Anthony’s School for Develeopmnetal Dexterity, NYCPrenatal and Postnatal Pilates Specialist from Carolyn Anthony’s Center for Women
- Prenatal and Postnatal Pilates Specialist from Carolyn Anthony’s Center for WomenCore Reform from the Systems of Smart Movement®
- Core Reform from the Systems of Smart Movement®
- Teacher Trainer for PAI (Pilates Academy International)BA from College of Charleston
- BA from College of CharlestonBrand Ambassador for Carbon 38
- Brand Ambassador for Carbon 38
Owner and Lead Instructor
Elizel has 25 years of experience in movement as a professional Ballerina and Contemporary Dancer and has worked in one of the most prestigious dance companies in the world, The Rambert Dance Company in London, UK. She has worked in various Pilates and Fitness institutes producing high levels of fitness ingenuity and education to clients of all caliber’s on three different continents around the world, for the past 6 years. She is a brand ambassador for Lululemon Athletica; Altar Ego Apparel and Carbon38.
Elizel is a certified STOTT PILATES Instructor and has the following certifications:
- BA HONS Degree (University of Kent, UK.)
- Athletic CORE Conditioning fitness for Individuals and group class settings. (Merrithew.)
- Athletic conditioning on the Pilates Reformer. (Merrithew)
- Special Populations and Injuries certification. ( Merrithew.)
- Matwork Pilates (Merrithew)
- ZEN*GA movement both Mat work and Pilates Reformer (Merrithew)
- Core Bar Instructor
- Certified BLS provider (CPR)
Originally a New Jersey native, Julie has been a resident of Charleston since 2007. Her love of fitness originated back in NJ as an avid field hockey player and continued at Salisbury University where she explored studies in anatomy and nutrition. After her move to Charleston, Julie was introduced to Pilates and instantly fell in love with how it increased her abdominal strength, flexibility and overall health. Julie went on to receive her Pilates mat certification through Power Pilates. Eager for more, she continued her studies at the elite Studio Lotus in Atlanta where she received her Power Pilates Apparatus Certification. Julie also completed Core Reform teacher training through Absolute Pilates, in Charlotte, NC. She has been teaching at Pilates of Charleston since 2009 and is dedicated to her loyal clientele. Julie enjoys working with people of all fitness levels and loves to see how Pilates can rehabilitate and change the body. She enjoys incorporating her athletic background into her teaching method.
Stephanie is a lifelong athlete that believes that movement is the most important thing you can do for your health – both physically and mentally. After spending years as a long distance runner and sustaining multiple bone in juries, she found Pilates at the recommendation of a Physical Therapist to build up bone density and ward off injury. One class is all it took! Nearly a decade later, Stephanie is a still a regular student of Pilates but also loves serving as a teacher. She is certified by Balanced Body in both Mat work and Reformer.
Her goal for each class is to emcompass traditional form and technique but also challenge students to progress and tap into their individual athleticism. Stephanie teaches both classes and private sessions at Pilates of Charleston.
Content is progress…